Opportunities for Work and Play in Chicago
There are so many opportunities to find a great job and a great life in Chicago. The city of Big Shoulders boasts an amazing downtown, several unique and cozy neighborhoods, and it's a thriving center for many types of business.
Here are just a few examples of great jobs you can get in Chicago, and great activities to do too!
- The healthcare industry is booming all over the world, and Chicago is no exception. There are 121 hospitals within the city of Chicago, and plenty of additional healthcare opportunities besides. You could work in an urgent-care center, a senior living facility, and many more - there are hundreds of opportunities for qualified healthcare professionals.
- Though Chicago isn't an epicenter of technology like Seattle, it's become home to a lot of tech startups - for example, the city is home to Groupon, a tech company that's been dominating the news and the market. An IT-savvy individual or an engineer can find plenty to keep them happy. Whether you know Linux or Windows, you can find a great position. There are opportunities for IT helpdesk workers, C++ developers, computer programmers, and more.
- Though it's not Wall Street, Chicago definitely has a strong finance community. Chicago is home to the Chicago Board of Trade, the world's oldest futures and options exchange. Every day, deals are made by energetic traders. With such a thriving financial industry, there's plenty of room for a talented financial analyst, accountant, or credit analyst. Whatever your area of expertise, you can put it to use in the Chicago financial industry.
- Chicago is also home to many great sales opportunities. There's a huge market to be tapped locally and throughout the Midwest for a skilled salesperson. You could end up selling retail stock in one of the many stores on Michigan Avenue, or go corporate with a job selling B2B solutions as an inside sales representative.
Of course, Chicago definitely isn't all work and no play! There's a lot to do no matter what the season.
- Sporting events. Chicago is home to no less than 22 professional and semi-pro sports teams. In addition to two major league baseball teams, an NBA basketball team, an NFL football team, and an NHL hockey team, Chicago boasts dozens of other professional sports teams. Whether you love softball, soccer, or roller derby, you'll find a team to root for in Chicago.
- Culture. Chicago is home to multiple museums, theaters, and concert halls. You can make a day of it and enjoy a bit of history or a performance.
- Food. Chicago is heaven for a foodie and even for the non-foodie. The city is known for its fantastic food, especially Chicago-style pizza. Eat your way through the city and have a taste of every kind of cuisine.
- Outdoor fun. Chicago is on the lake, which means beaches and boats. On nice days you can find hundreds of people enjoying the lakefront. The city also boasts several miles of lakefront path for bikers, walkers, roller bladers, and runners to enjoy.
Do you live in Chicago? What are your favorite things about the city?