Location: Livermore, CA
Schafer Corporation is seeking a Research Machinist to join its laboratory in Livermore, California. The ideal candidate will have experience in ultra-precision machining techniques including diamond turning, and 5-axis milling. Responsibilities will include component design, machine programming, fabrication, assembly, and precision metrology of manufactured components.
Schafer Livermore Laboratory is an agile, focused, research laboratory working on micro-manufacturing and materials development. We are a small group of physicists, chemists, engineers, and technicians. We respect our work, our team, and our customers. We are looking for an intelligent, creative, organized, thoughtful, proactive person to join our group. We are nice people doing excellent work.
The candidate will be part of a team responsible for research, development, and fabrication of diverse components with very high dimensional tolerances to be used by experimenters at Department of Energy National Laboratories and other institutions with large high-power laser facilities. The components are composed of various metals, polymers, polymer films, aerogels, metal coatings and precision manufactured components. These components are precisely assembled and characterized via conventional microscopy, interferometry, and optical coordinate metrology.
- 5-10 years of experience
- CAD/CAM– SolidWorks/CAMWorks/MasterCAM preferred
- CNC machining – Proficiency in machine set-up and g-code programming
- Single Point Diamond Turning
- Characterization skills – knowledge of precision manufacturing characterization methods (e.g. optical coordinate measuring machine, measuring microscope, laser confocal microscope, interferometer, etc.), including advantages and limitations of methods
- Excellent communication skills – candidate must interface with customers and colleagues
- Ability to work independently to manufacture and characterize parts on time
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and co-workers about project status, and challenges.
Additional desired skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- 5-axis CNC machining experience
- Production management experience
- Project management experience
- Experience with precision assembly methods and techniques
- The company will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this position. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Schafer seeks to fill this position with an exceptionally talented and self-motivated individual. Salary will commensurate with experience. Schafer has highly competitive benefits, excellent development opportunities and a great working environment. Schafer Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.U.S. Citizenship is required for all positions.Schafer does not accept resumes from third party agencies.Only those candidates invited to interview will be contacted. Livermore, CA