Senior Engineering Researcher (ARL/VTD)
Location: Aberdeen, MD
Schafer / Belcan Government Services (BGS), a division under Belcan (www.belcan.com), is a scientific, engineering and operational support organization providing high-end technical solutions to mission critical challenges. BGS's contributions are focused in the following major thrust areas: government services; civil and military aerospace solutions; cybersecurity and laboratory and scientific support. We choose to work on some of the toughest technical challenges facing the aerospace and defense industries today, meeting and exceeding our goals.
Schafer / Belcan Government Services (BGS) is looking a Senior Engineering Researcher
in support of the Army Research Lab/Vehicle Technology Directorate (ARL/VTD) to conduct research in fundamental processes in internal combustion engines, directed toward the development of new or fuller scientific knowledge of propulsion systems. The work involves theoretical and experimental investigations, the creation or development of a means of conducting such investigations, and the development of principles, criteria, methods, and a body of data of general applicability for use by others. Work will be focused on air and ground system engine research. The ARL Spray Combustion Research Laboratory (SCRL) is equipped with a high-temperature pressure vessel (1000 K at 150 bar) and various optical diagnostic tools. The SCRL also contains multiple fuel benches to test various fuel injector designs as well as an injection analyzer to measure the rate of injection (ROI) and shot-to-shot injection quantities. Location of work will be Aberdeen, MD.
- The candidate shall investigate the detailed spray and combustion processes of various fuel injector designs and fuel properties (diesel, JP-8, alternative JP-8 fuels).
- One of the injectors will be for small heavy-fueled UAV engines.
- The candidate shall also have an opportunity to help establish an optically-accessible engine bench and perform optical research on this engine.
- Conduct research and development to discover, innovate, and transition spray and combustion sciences to advance the propulsion system as applied to internal combustion engines, their components, and their applications to current and future ground and air military vehicles.
- Investigate phenomena encountered in fuel chemistry, spray dynamics and combustion science, advance optical diagnostic methods to establish engine safety standards and regulations for operating existing and newly developed propulsion systems.
- Perform research and developmental activities focusing on developing new procedures or methods to improve internal combustion engines, their components and their applications to current and future ground and air military vehicles.
- Design experiments, perform research, analyze the results, assess and report the spray and combustion sciences associated with internal combustion engines including both gas turbine and piston engines, their components, and their applications to current and future air and ground systems.
- Plan, conduct and direct engine research using spray combustion chamber system, optical diagnostic techniques, dynamometer system, and altitude test facility.
- Provide leadership for and coordinate projects and teams.
- Advise senior leadership on development of new research program areas in engine systems.
- Design experimental test rigs and procedures.
- Perform one Dimension (1D) engine/system and three Dimension (3D) Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis.
- Perform thermodynamic, mechanical, and power analysis of propulsion systems and performance.
- Conduct research on heavy fuels and alternative fuels.
- Perform computer modeling and optimization of engine systems.
- Provide subject matter expertise on technical aspects of propulsion.
- Develop the principles, criteria, methods, and a body of data of general applicability for use by others.
- Conduct research or other professional and scientific work to support the directorate.
- Coordinate technical and remote site activities.
- Prepare technical and program briefings.
- Represent the organization at all levels for both internal and external research related projects or programs.
- Provide weekly reports on findings in accordance with this tasking and documentation as required.
- Master's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- At least five (5) years of laboratory research experience relating to propulsion systems, primarily internal combustion piston engines; advanced degree may be considered in lieu of experience on a case-by-case basis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal combustion engines including gas turbine and piston engines, their components, and their applications to current and future ground and air military vehicles i.e., publications, awards, invited presentations, professional affiliations.
- Understanding how to apply thermodynamics, mechanics, and other physical, mathematical and engineering sciences to problems concerned with the production, measurement, and use of energy, especially heat and mechanical power.
- Knowledge of engine performance concepts.
- Ability to design experiment, perform research, analyze the results, assess and report the results in technical reports, conference and journal papers.
- Knowledge of 1D system modeling using programs such as G-T Power.
- 3D CFD analysis.
- Proficient analytic skills using software such as MATLAB.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- LabVIEW programming capability and familiarity with National Instrumentation (NI) hardware.
- Experience with internal combustion or turbine engine test rig design and operation.
- Engineering drawing software such as Solidworks.
BGS seeks to fill this position with an exceptionally talented and self-motivated individual. Salary will commensurate with experience. BGS has highly competitive benefits, excellent development opportunities and a great working environment.BGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for all positions.BGS Corporation does not accept resumes from third party agencies.' Government Services' (Maryland)