Location: FAYETTEVILLE, AR
Charge Nurse Job description may be revised in writing to add or delete duties at any time at the discretion of management.
Position Purpose: The Charge Nurse is a nurse leader and integral member of the multidisciplinary team. The Charge Nurse is responsible for the routine functioning of the unit on his/her assigned shift. All Registered Nurses are expected to be able to organize, manage and coordinate unit nursing services on an assigned shift as delegated by nursing administration.
This position is a Registered Nurse and is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and coordinating patient care from admission to discharge. The Registered Nurse is responsible for assisting with the achievement of patient outcomes in accordance with the missions of the hospital.
Position Reports To: Nursing Manager
Position Supervises: Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Mental Health Technicians.
Interpersonal Relationships: As a representative of Springwoods Behavioral Health, all comments, attitudes, actions, and behaviors have a direct affect on the Facility’s image and perceptions of quality service. Interaction with patients, family members, physicians, referral sources, affiliating schools, visitors, etc. must be in a manner that is friendly, supportive, courteous, respectful, cooperative, and professional. This behavior should promote an atmosphere of teamwork, which is congruent with facility standards and guidelines to promote positive relations.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Knowledge of general and psychiatric nursing principles, working concepts and theory, leadership skills, age specific growth and development, limit setting, crisis and behavior management.
2. Excellent organization and time management skills are required to cope with complex schedules and fluctuations in census.
3. Knowledge of The Joint Commission and other federal, state and local laws that govern healthcare.
4. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required to communicate with patients, families, physicians, and hospital staff. Ability to meet and deal effectively with the public, department managers, and employees.
5. Must be able to exercise good judgment and make recommendations in the best interest of the hospital and its employees. Must be able to demonstrate leadership ability.
6. Maintain all competencies required by The Joint Commission, laws, hospital policies and other regulatory agencies.
7. Required visual acuity to provide observation of patients and physical agility to manage patients. Proficiency in reading and writing.
8. Ability to provide lead and experienced direction, support, and functional supervision to nursing staff.
9. Good organization and time management skills.
10. Must have skill sets to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
Charge Nurse- You must meet these requirements in order to be considered for this position.
Licenses or Certifications: Current licensure and registration by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing as a Registered Nurse. Current CPR and AED certifications, or must obtain within 90 days of hire. Successful completion of the American Nursing Association Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse program with credentialing is preferred.
Total education, vocational training and experience: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Two years within a hospital, the behavioral health field, including one year in a lead nursing position role is preferred. Experience working with adolescents (ages 13-18), and/or adults (ages 18 plus) preferred.