MEDICAL LABORATORY SPECIALIST
Location: Chico, CA
The medical laboratory specialist conducts tests on the tissue, blood and body fluids of patients.
- Perform elementary blood banking and clinical laboratory procedures in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, serology, bacteriology, parasitology and urinalysis
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture
- Pack, unpack, inspect, store and distribute blood and blood products
- Assemble, disassemble and maintain laboratory equipment
Job training for a medical laboratory specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 52 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice-testing specimens.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Medical laboratory procedures
- Study of human parasites and diseases
- Laboratory administration and record keeping
- Interest in biology, chemistry and algebra
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely