Material Damage Adjuster
Location: Jonesboro, AR
A company built to serve you. It's your career, Shelter it!
The Material Damage Adjuster investigates, analyzes, evaluates and settles insurance claims involving automobile and property material damage losses. Determines values of a claim and negotiates settlements within limits of authority, in accordance with established procedures and consistent with legal and contractual obligations. May be assigned duties with regard to catastrophe teams for auto and property losses. Position specializes in adjusting claims with some degree of physical inspection. Due to the duties and responsibilities of this position, Consumer Reports will be run on final candidates. Requires the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Starting salary range: $17.80 - $29.29/hr
If interested, please apply by 11/19/17.
- Reviews assigned loss reports to determine extent of investigation and additional information needed. Reads, analyzes and interprets insurance policies and endorsements and bulletins and applies to claims situations. Applies read-in/read-out approach to determine policy coverage. Verifies coverage limits, effective dates and possible restriction or exclusions.
- Investigates to establish facts of the claim. Reviews police reports, weather reports, records from ISO database, fire reports and other pertinent information to verify losses.
- Reviews details and evaluates claim based on evidence obtained in the investigation. Sets and adjusts reserves.
- Inspects damaged vehicles, prepares estimates utilizing computerized estimating tools, handles auto valuations and performs reinspections as needed. Inspects damaged property and prepares estimates utilizing computerized estimating tools. Reviews and negotiates estimates and appraisals presented by customers. Coordinates rental vehicles. Works with salvages facilities, handling salvage issues including documentation in accordance with state statues.
- Examines and reviews potential subrogation claims and pursues subrogation according to Company guidelines. Ensures recovery process is initiated and progressing, using techniques necessary to prevent damage to evidence. Obtains other party information to determine Shelter's subrogation rights and places responsible parties on notice of a possible subrogation claim.
- May support other units in investigation of losses, including obtaining photos, performing scene analysis and diagrams, field inspections, statement taking and courthouse searches.
- Prepares and maintains file documentation. Takes recorded statements as needed.
- Communicates with outside vendors, expert consultants, and attorneys.
- Reviews open files on a regular basis and makes contact with insureds, claimants or representatives to determine progress of claim. Documents pending files in writing and reviews with supervisor on a regular basis. Handles proofs of loss according to state statutes, policy and appropriate adjusting guidelines. Negotiates settlement of claims with insureds, claimants and others up to authority limits. Gives written notice to claimants, insureds and legal counsel of denied claims.
- Visits agents' offices and performs duties on catastrophe storm teams as assigned. Provides support to agency force, including policy interpretation, training and general understanding of Claims operations. Assists Underwriting by utilizing Risk Alerts and investigating material misrepresentations on insurance applications.
- Must be able to safely operate an automobile, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, digital camera, personal computer, and miscellaneous office equipment. Resident adjusters must have high-speed Internet access (via DSL or cable modem) from their residence.
- Performs other duties as requested by Branch Claims Supervisor or Branch Claims Manager.
- Essential Duties as described in this document are general in nature and should not be construed as encompassing all duties and/or functions of this job
- Responsible for handling claims with accuracy and consistency, following established procedures and authority limits, policy language and provisions, and applicable state and local statutes.
- Responsible for promptly and accurately examining details of each claim assigned and making sound decisions with regard to investigation, gathering of information, and payment or denial in accordance with policy, procedural, and statutory requirements.
- Responsible for properly recording data to claims system to ensure claims are appropriately paid and recorded for statistical data, and completing required reports in a timely manner.
- Responsible for reviewing assigned claims on a regular basis and is accountable for accurate reserves.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of technical knowledge required for accurate, timely, and efficient claims handling. May be required to acquire and maintain state licenses as applicable.
- Assists with training of Adjusters and other office staff.
Jonesboro, AR - Branch