Location: Holland, MI
Controls Engineer - Level II (Direct Hire)
Wage: Starting at $15/hour approx. based on experience
Schedule: M-F 7am - 3:30pm- OT may be required
Travel requirements: 30% of the time (about 1 week a month)
TITLE: Controls Engineer – Level 1
REPORTS TO: Electrical Engineering Manager
DATE: May 2017
Provides electrical and controls support for Company products and services worldwide. Takes direction from Electrical Controls Engineer – Level II, to design and document new products and product line enhancements of an electrical nature. Works with manufacturing to determine the best manufacturing processes for existing and new products. Works with quality personnel to ensure that all quality aspects of product design and manufacturing are met by applying engineering principals under minimal supervision.
1. Promote a positive attitude, understand and promote company mission and values. Must be able to work independently and accept accountability.
2. Must have excellent, effective verbal and written communication skills, share information with others prior to decisions and after decisions in a timely manner. Listen effectively and accept constructive criticism.
3. Ability to take independent action solving problems, seek out new responsibilities, act on opportunities, generate new ideas and manage risk of new ideas, work to promote self-development.
4. Must have a common sense/practical approach, ability to make thoughtful and timely decisions, get clarity of issue or objective by getting input in the decision-making process and show consideration for the impact of the decisions.
5. Show openness to new ideas, ability to adapt to change and assume new responsibilities. Must be able to handle pressure and uncertainty, adjust work plans to meet changing company and customer needs.
1. Assists Controls Engineer – Level II, by utilizing engineering principals to design new products from information provided by Mechanical Design Engineering Department and R&D Department.
2. Assists Controls Engineer-Level II in product design.
3. Monitor wire stock and order replacement wire as needed. Monitor electrical stock and order replacements as needed. Determines proper material selection by performing static and dynamic engineering calculations with the aid of computer-aided design (CAD, personal computers (PC) and calculators).
4. Assist Controls Engineer-Level II in analyzing electrical costs by performing mathematical calculations. Applies calculated data, with material costs, to determine total product material costs.
5. Works with Controls Engineer-Level II to review form, fit and function of product designs by utilizing CAD and PC’s.
6. Provides support and leadership on major installation or revision of machines and equipment. Including direct production of Fogg electrical controls. Weld wire ways to machine bases, run conduit, pull cables, read blueprints and wire machines accordingly, track BOM parts and make sure they arrive on time. Work with assembly department to coordinate timing of wiring and machine startup. Build electrical panels, assist in machine disassembly for shipping. Test safety circuits.
7. Documents all projects and maintain in master engineering file. Insure that a bill of materials and electrical schematic are placed in the engineering file of each machine.
8. Assembles prototype product using power and hand tools. Lifts/moves parts weighing up to 40 pounds, during engineering evaluations to determine form, fit and function.
9. Assist and Support development programs which will increase cost efficiency resulting in smoother workflow for manufacturing. Including testing and analysis of materials, processes and prototypes. Prepares test requests, monitors tests, and evaluates test performance per agency and industry standards.
10. Analyzes competitive products by evaluating materials, manufacturing processes, product performance and packaging.
11. Contacts and when necessary visits customers, suppliers, and agencies to obtain information relative to existing products, purchased parts, material selections, or manufacturing processes.
12. Keep wiring areas clean and organized.
13. Travel and provide engineering field support for machine installation, setup and service for all Fogg customer base and/or our dealer/agents, maintaining optimum quality customer service, as required.
14. Support Fogg customers, Sales Department and Purchasing Department on project control specifications. Answer engineering customer service telephone calls.
15. Maintain a professional appearance at all times while representing Fogg in a professional and courteous manner.
16. When other Fogg department require additional assistance due to production demands, you may be required to help in that department.
A. Internal Contacts –Service Department, Purchasing Department, senior engineering, manufacturing and all Fogg employees.
B. External Contacts - Moderate contact with suppliers and vendors serving Fogg Filler Company. Occasional contact with agencies, customers, and dealer/agents.
× High School Diploma
× 5 years’ electrical experience required, packaging industry preferred.
. Electrical wiring experience in an OEM atmosphere
. Experience in RSLogix 5000 & 500, Factory Talk View ME, Siemens Win CC and Step 7 V5
. Attention to detail and quality of work
. Self-motivated and ability to see what needs to be done
. Communication skills and willingness to take on challenges