Senior Programmer Analyst - Legacy Claims
Location: Blue Bell, PA
With limited oversight, performs complex analysis and advanced level software design and development using structured programming techniques, SDLC methodologies and tools for mainframe and distributed enterprise-level application platforms.
Note: While this position will initially focus on mainframe/COBOL/DB2 and related technologies, there is an expectation the position will transition focus to a distributed technology set over time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs analysis, estimation, application design, data model design, programming and testing of complex enterprise-level software applications and interfaces with limited oversight.
- Provides on-call support on a rotational schedule for Production processes, effectively documenting incident tickets and reports to reflect corrective actions taken.
- Independently analyzes and resolves complex technical issues or business problems.
- Works directly with the business community to gather business requirements, develop functional and technical specifications and document business use case scenarios.
- Develops, documents and executes system test plans, and works with the business community to provide results for sign off on User Acceptance Testing.
- Serves as project lead over small to medium application development projects. Facilitates project management meetings. Identifies required allocation of staff resources. Defines project goals and objectives. Establishes schedules and methods for achieving goals and objectives, identifying task and resource dependencies and/or constraints. Prepares and presents project status reports. Identifies and finds solutions to technical, vendor or resource problems.
- Demonstrate commitment to Company's Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, and apply knowledge of compliance policies and procedures, standards and laws applicable to job responsibilities in the performance of work.
- Independence, reliability, leadership, passion, problem solving, and follow through.
- Technical software development tools and utilities including COBOL, CICS, JCL, SQL, and DB2/Stored Procedures. This position involves a mix of SSIS and mainframe development. Experience in SQL Server/SSIS is a plus as this position will be responsible for an increasing amount of development of data integration and workflow applications using SSIS and other open systems development tools as PMA continues to replace legacy mainframe technology.
- Understanding of and experience in all phases of the software development life-cycle.
- Proven experience in the creation of all SDLC documentation related to project charter, requirements, test plans, implementation plans, communication plans and status reports.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to communicate technical terms in business language and communicate across levels of the organization.
Experience or knowledge in the following areas a plus
- VSAM, IMS
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Visual Studio/C#, VB.NET
- Experience using ETL Tools
- Workers Compensation Insurance knowledge
- Minimum 5 years work experience using the required technical tools.
- Higher education degree preferred.