Generator Service Technician
Location: North Charleston, SC
currently has openings for Generator Field Service Technician
in our Charleston, SC
The primary duties of this position are to service and maintain natural gas and diesel AC power generator systems located at our customer's facilities.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years previous experience (military experience included) servicing 8.5kW – 3500kW generators. EGSA certification is a plus. At a minimum, applicants will have a working knowledge of electrical systems and circuitry as well as some knowledge of diesel engines.
Demonstrated knowledge with:
- Engines, both natural gas and/or diesel
- Transfer switches both manual and automatic
- Solid state, microprocessor, PLC engine and generator controllers
- Diesel engine fire pumps and controllers
- Load bank testing
At a minimum, applicants will have a working knowledge of electrical systems and circuitry as well as some knowledge of diesel engines.
* Trainee positions are available for individuals who have a Technical School Diploma or Associates Degree in Electrical Generation Systems, Diesel Engine Technology or related field are encouraged to apply. Non-traditional and /or informal experience with diesel engines, generators and/or related field will be considered as well.
Candidates must have own tools, be able to lift up to 100lbs, be available for overtime and weekend work as needed.
*Must possess a valid driver's license with a clear record. Company vehicle is provided.
Key Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Service, repair, modify, diagnosis and rebuild standby power generators and fire pump drivers
- Perform failure analysis, emergency field service and/or repairs for customers
- Service a variety of other brands of power generation equipment
- Operate, drive and maintain company service truck and parts inventory on truck
- Check/repair all supporting systems such as fuel, cooling and electrical systems
- Operation of load banks and recording of instrumentation
- Furnish current required tools
- Clean, check, recondition and determine the reusability of used parts
- Keep current concerning product changes, specifications and updates
- Compile all repair, maintenance and estimates for the above listed duties
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Problem solving
- Communication skills
- Reporting skills
- Customer contact
- Technical functional knowledge
- Decision making
- Time management
- Detail oriented
- Industry product knowledge
- Written communication skills
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Smart phone, email, PLC)
High School diploma; Generator, electrical, and diesel engine technical training and/or three years in related field.
Competitive wages and benefits, EOE/AAP/M/F/Vets/Disabled, DFWP.