Location: Harrisburg, PA
Advantage Sales and Marketing LLC dba Advantage Solutions is one of North America’s leading sales and marketing agencies specializing in outsourced sales, merchandising, category management and marketing services to manufacturers, suppliers and producers of food products and consumer packaged goods. Advantage Solutions services a variety of trade channels including grocery, mass merchandise, specialty, convenience, drug, dollar, club, hardware, consumer electronics and home centers. We bridge the gap between manufacturers and retailers, providing consumers access to the best products available in the marketplace today.
The Category Manager role requires the ability to understand our retailer’s processes, understand what data is available, understand our client’s objectives and marry the three together with compelling, data driven “story telling”. This candidate is smart, creative, organized, curious, and confident presenting ideas and solutions to internal sales associates, clients and customers. No day is ever the same in this job as the variety of work to be performed evolves weekly, but the importance of filtering different data sets to actionable solutions is the constant. Advantage Solutions differentiates ourselves from our competition through the flexibility and talent of our Analytics team….be a part of it!
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Data Collection & Analysis
• Leverages syndicated scan data and basic panel and geodemographic data to optimize new product introductions, distribution, shelving, pricing, and promotional strategies across a group of customers and clients
• Utilizes broad range of data metrics, tools, and analytics to identify opportunities and deliver insights to our customers and clients
• Prioritizes tasks with focus on strategic versus tactical activities that deliver stronger ROI
• Engages with customers and clients to understand strategies and objectives
• Leverages experience to create mutually beneficial solutions for all parties involved
• Contribute to RAVE process, focusing efforts on measurable value creation with customers and clients
• Creates insight driven presentations with actionable tactics and strategies
• Develops creative presentations with an eye toward story-telling, focused on flow, visualizations, headlines, and using Advantage Branding Guidelines
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities for direct reports
- Does not have direct reports, but may delegate work of others and provide guidance, direction and mentoring to indirect reports
Travel and/or Driving Requirements
- Travel is an essential duty and function of this job. Driving is not an essential duty or function of this job.
- Travel up to 15%
Minimum Qualifications The following are the minimum job-related qualifications which an individual needs in order to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job
Education Level: (Required) Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in marketing, math, statistics, or economic fields
Field of Study/Area of Experience:
- 2-4 years of experience in applicable field (sales and marketing agency or CPG industry solution provider, retailer, or manufacturer)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Intellectually curious, eager to problem solve, and a quick learner
• Well-organized and strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Demonstrated ability to work with large data sets; appetite for numbers and analytics
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team; a hunger for “winning together”
• Ability to confidently work with client, customer, and internal leadership
• Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize business requests
• Creativity…. with a passion for building visually compelling presentations
• Good communication – written and oral – skills and strong interpersonal skills
• Strong work ethic and desire to succeed (often with minimal supervision)
• Microsoft Office experience: Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Syndicated Data experience: Experience with IRI, Nielsen, and other relevant platforms preferred
• Experience with application of shopper panel data and geodemographic data sets preferred
• Understanding and application of principles and practices of Category Management (analysis of assortment, pricing, promotion, shelving, shopper) required
Environmental & Physical Requirements
Office / Sedentary Requirements
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Typically requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time (66%+ each day), ability to hear the telephone, ability to enter data on a computer and may also require the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
Additional Information Regarding Advantage Solutions Job Duties and Job Descriptions
Job duties include additional responsibilities as assigned by one’s supervisor or other manager related to the position/department. This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Advantage Solutions reserves the right at any time with or without notice to alter or change job responsibilities, reassign or transfer job position or assign additional job responsibilities, subject to applicable law. Advantage Solutions shall provide reasonable accommodations of known disabilities to enable a qualified applicant or employee to apply for employment, perform the essential functions of the job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment as required by the law.
Any estimate, schedule, or guideline provided to associates in this job description or elsewhere in connection with their jobs is only intended to help describe job duties and for planning purposes. Regardless of any such estimate, schedule, or guideline, associates must always record all time worked for our company (which includes but is not limited to on-site work time in an assigned store, office, or other work location; required waiting time; administrative time; and work-related travel time).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of associates so classified.
Are you passionate about Service Excellence, Results, Integrity, Entrepreneurial Focus and Leadership: These are our values at Advantage Solutions: Come learn why “Winning Together” is more than just words on a piece of paper. It is the vision by which we live our mission as an organization: 'To create outstanding value for clients and customers through superior sales execution, operational excellence and innovative marketing services.'
Advantage Solutions is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental disability, or any other category protected by law. As part of this commitment, Advantage Solutions shall provide reasonable accommodations of known disabilities to enable an applicant or employee to apply for employment, perform the essential functions of the job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment as required by the law.
Advantage Solutions will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box) Ordinance. All of our positions require the satisfactory completion of a background check. Please be aware that acknowledging or having criminal convictions does not constitute an automatic bar to employment. Factors including, but not limited to age and time of the offense, seriousness and nature of the violation, and rehabilitation will be taken into account.