AIR Environmental Engineer
Location: Birmingham, AL
Pay: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00 /Year
Stepan Company is a publicly traded, major international manufacturer of specialty and intermediate chemical products. Our expertise in chemical manufacturing and global reach are driving factors in our long-term relationships with customers. As we continue to grow, we remain committed to developing practices and products that reflect our core values of responsibility, integrity and innovation in the chemical industry.
Stepan Millsdale is a diverse chemical manufacturing facility with multiple chemistries, manufacturing platforms and associated air pollution control infrastructure. The primary responsibility of the Environmental Engineer – Air is to oversee, manage and maintain the site’s compliance with State and Federal air regulations including, but not limited to, the site's Title V air permit. The role requires strong technical ability, including interpretation of applicable regulations, basic computer modelling of air emissions, and the design, operation, and troubleshooting of pollution control equipment, instrumentation and data collection infrastructure. In addition, the scope of the role necessitates an attention to detail, capability to manage multiple and competing priorities, independence, and the ability to influence, communicate and work effectively with a broad range of internal and external parties.
Job Location: Elwood, IL
- Serves as the technical expert on all matters relating to the site’s air emissions, pollution control infrastructure and associated regulatory compliance.
- Functions as the liaison between the site and the IEPA and EPA on air permitting and compliance matters.
- Manages the site’s compliance with State and Federal air regulations including, but not limited to, the site's Title V air permit and all associated monitoring, recordkeeping, computer modelling, data analysis and reporting.
- Interprets regulations and permit requirements for applicability and subsequently translates into activities, guidance, programs and oversight to ensure site compliance.
- Develops, manages and submits permit renewals, construction permits, permit modifications, stack testing protocols, LDAR monitoring programs, reporting and other permitting activities, as necessary.
- Develops and implements environmental management systems and any programs, work instructions, policies or procedures to ensure the site maintains compliance.
- Maintains and submits accurate compliance records, and any necessary reports.
- Leads and participates in meetings, environmental audits, and trainings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information associated with scope of responsibility.
- Responds as needed to emergency situations during or after hours.
- Recommends capital expenditures necessary to maintain compliance as it relates to the site’s air emissions and Title V permit.
- Partners with operations and engineering on projects to ensure scope of work, design, operation, and maintenance are compliant and effective.
- Responsible for chemical inventory reporting (EPCRA) and Form R reports.
- Notifies area management with Environmental deviations while providing support
- Provides prompt and accurate feedback to area management
- Other duties as required
The qualified candidate will have the following education, experience, skills and abilities:
BS degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering or EH&S
Minimum of 5 years’ experience performing a similar or related role within a chemical manufacturing environment.
Strong working knowledge of US regulations pertaining to air compliance.
Strong people skills and an ability to influence others.
Advanced computer skills including modelling, spreadsheets, data collection and analysis.