Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Sandy Rongstad
The Produce Buyer will be responsible to drive sales growth with exciting deals, new re-orderable items, all while maintaining appropriate inventory turns and gross margin levels.
- Responsible for finding and negotiating a price with suppliers.
- Will be required to analyze price trends and assess their impact on future activities as well as continuously develop market knowledge.Reviews costs to ensure items purchased are at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, deliveries and urgency of need.
- Negotiate contracts and terms in order to gain maximum advantage for costs and vendor funding opportunities.
- Assesses current inventory to determine order quantity.Interact as a team with sales, warehousing and distribution.
- Visits stores, as needed, to:Follow the store's policies on purchases and priority of local vendors
- Monitor programs, and obtain store feedback and to assess overall implementation effectiveness as needed.Plan attractive produce displays with consistent, readable, clear signs.
- Ensure handling of produce adheres to Company procedures and standards; cull, replenish and rotate produce throughout the day; mark down produce that is not selling to reduce losses.
- Attend store and buyers meetings to coordinate promotions.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge and/or Credentials:
- BA/BS Degree preferred.
- 10+ years of Diverse Purchasing experience preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of produce; solid understanding of produce varieties handled in a wholesale operation.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements (Prop 65, FDA, USDA...)
- Solid under standing of produce procurement.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Possess excellent negotiation, listening, and verbal communication along with excellent writing and computer skills.
- Manage, track and control several ongoing pro jects concurrently.
- Willing and able to work any hours any days and travel as necessary.
- Exhibit strong ability to analyze data, make judgments and develop reports.
- Be extremely self motivated, take initiative and drive results.
- Multi-task and work in fast paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to be a change agent and not get easily frustrated with external and internal obstacles. Must have the attitude and aptitude to overcome.
- Be available to respond to calls on urgent matters, including after business hours, on weekends and holidays if necessary.