Property Manager/ Assistant Manager
Location: Phoenix, AZ, AZ
Name: Allison Bargen
MUST have experience with Realpage software. The Property Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the assigned apartment community and to ensure that the property is compliant with CANAM Property Management standards in addition to local, state and federal regulations including Landlord/Tenant, Fair Housing and employment laws. The Exempt Property Manager is required to manage more than two additional people. This individual will work independently and with teammates to manage and resolve all property-level management issues. This individual should be familiar with multi-family housing management and related terminology, budgeting, housing agency regulations, and have a commitment to excellence in customer service.
Additionally, the Property Manager will be responsible for meeting property ownership financial goals through successful execution of the business plan and adherence to the operating budget.
Essential Job Functions & Core Competencies
- Screen, interview, hire, train and successfully lead property staff.
- Assign duties to staff members within scope of employee’s Job Description.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, support, and discipline (including terminations) when necessary.
- Disseminate communication to team members as specified from corporate directives.
- Assess quality of work performed by team members and provide constructive feedback or praise when necessary.
- Ensure all employees participate in and complete required training; provide training when and where necessary.
- Provide support for conflict resolution to team members.
- Create a positive company culture for employee retention.
- Generate and maintain team schedules.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times, promoting the same to entire team.
- Adhere to company best practices and federal Fair Housing requirements during all phases of the prospect/resident lifecycle, from initial prospect inquiry to resident move out (i.e. touring, application processing, security deposits, rental rates, lease administration, resident complaints, legal processes, renewals, etc.)
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all tenant and resident verifications, including screening, income verifications and compliance paperwork; regularly monitor management software reports to verify all daily activity is entered as required.
- Review and approve all lease documents and forms, ensuring all are accurate and complete.
- Create and maintain filing systems.
Perform regular property inspections to maintain safety and curb appeal; identify and assess any maintenance issues and communicate to maintenance team.
- Utilize approved Suppliers to provide supplies, property improvements and necessary repairs; maintain Supplier relations to optimize performance.
- Understand and comply with the provisions set forth in the Property Management Agreement.
- Provide daily/weekly/monthly reports as required by Regional Asset Manager; maintain communication with invested parties on status of property.
- Promptly report property liability claims, employee workers’ compensation claims, and property loss claims according to company policy.
- Organize, implement and practice property Emergency Management Plan; oversee and assist with management of property emergencies, such as snow and other inclement weather emergencies, fires, and floods.
- Approve payroll for all staff members, including commissions and bonuses when/if applicable, in an accurate manner.
- Advocate Risk Management initiatives for prospect, resident and employee safety.
- Ensure that all vendors are compliant according to company policy prior to receipt of goods or services.
- Ensure successful delivery of property maintenance services and adherence to timeliness and quality standards as set forth by the Company.
- Maximize property financial performance through effective collections and revenue growth strategies, expense management and retention programs.
- Actively participate in the annual property budgeting process.
- Minimize utilization of outside suppliers for routine maintenance tasks in order to meet and exceed budgeted expense expectations; periodically solicit bids for monthly services to ensure best pricing and service is being obtained.
- Maintain the site’s petty cash according to company policies.
- Promote customer satisfaction by maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and curb appeal, and interacts courteously and professionally with current and potential residents at all times.
- Conduct pre-move in and post-move out apartment inspections and ensure timely completion of quality unit turns.
- Create and execute strategic marketing plans to attract and retain residents.
- Understand the local rental market and economic factors affecting occupancy and leasing; regularly shop other properties within submarket to maintain up-to-date knowledge of competition.
- Understand, embrace and utilize various marketing platforms as directed by Regional Asset Manager and/or corporate marketing department.
- Address resident concerns including but not limited to: property repairs, tenant disputes, renewal offers, etc.
- Implement programs to promote resident retention and minimize turnover, including but not limited to regular resident functions, resident surveys, service request follow up.
- Provide top notch customer service to all prospects, residents, suppliers and employees.
- Foster a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, other communities and associated agencies.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the property management industry or directly related field.
- Solid understanding of financial statements and operating budgets.
- Able to successfully operate all basic office equipment – fax machine, printer, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of local, state and federal Fair Housing, Landlord/Tenant and employment laws.
- Ability to read, write, understand, and communicate in English.
- Proficiency at Microsoft Office Suite and ability to quickly learn other software applications.
- Ability to make immediate decisions to resolve problems using common sense while maintaining the integrity of company policy.
- Ability to work successfully with a variety of personality types and successfully resolve conflict with potential and existing residents, as well as employees.
- Must possess strong leadership, management and delegation skills.
- Must be able to screen, interview, and train qualified staff.
- Exhibit overall dependability to able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Exceptional customer service and sales abilities.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner. Ability to source, interview and manage a team.
- Ability to prioritize, set, and meet deadlines.
- Skillful in organization, prioritization, and time management. Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Required to maintain a regular schedule which may require working overtime, weekends and non-traditional holidays. Additionally, when required, be on-call and provide assistance during staffing deficiencies.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Employee must be able to lift and or move, up to 25 pounds.
- Stand/walk/sit for long periods of time.
- Climb stairs.
- Ability to work well under high-pressure situations.
- Ability to work both autonomously and in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Requires flexibility in a dynamic work environment.
- Driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
Other licenses may be required dependent on State/Local laws and/or property needs.