Position Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully fill the Staff Engineer position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual should be proficient at the following general and technical skills:
- Strong PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite, analytical software (Mathcad, SAFI, SolidWorks Simulation), computer-aided design software (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Must have good written and verbal technical communication skills including writing reports, emails, and presentations at various organizational levels (peers, internal clients, and external clients).
- Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects, including constructability requirements/considerations and reviews.
- Knowledge with engineering deliverables such as datasheets, material specifications, material requisitions, scope of work, and data registers.
- Knowledge on technical decision making methodology, including evaluating alternative solutions.
- Knowledge of equipment and functionality regarding utility systems such as compressed air, water, fire water, steam & condensate, hydraulic power, and diesel.
An individual must have the following qualifications to perform this job successfully:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited university is required
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer in Canada (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Must have work experience with a drilling contractor or other related company with direct contact to the oil and gas industry.
- Must have ability to maintain high standards of confidentiality, accuracy and timeliness
- Must be a detail oriented, self-starter and able to work with little supervision while maintaining quality
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must have the ability to travel to company locations including offshore and remote locations
- The ability to read, write, and speak English is required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The employee will be required to meet all standards required for safe operations, including but not limited to Fitness for Duty and any other standards set forth by regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the operations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. The employee may be required to lift and/or move objects of up to 50 pounds. The employee must be able to tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection and safety glasses. The employee must stay mentally alert for entire regular shift and must have the ability of simultaneously rapid mental coordination.
Parker Drilling provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.
This is an office position in Newfoundland and Labrador; however, travel and stay offshore may be required with exposure to extreme temperatures and environments. Travel to and from the work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations by helicopter or boat. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil are possible. Working with ladder and scaffolds and climbing to heights of 200 feet while carrying tools is possible. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the requirements pertaining to the job.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, regulations and company’s safety policies and procedures.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Ensure that personal behaviours and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests
- Must actively participate in the various meetings held (such as: induction meeting, pre-shift meeting, weekly regional, weekly safety meeting, risk assessment/pre-job meetings, etc.)
- Must participate in regularly scheduled safety drills (such as: well control, fire, man over board, etc.)
- Must participate and promote dropped object prevention program, including red zone/exclusion zone management.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company policies Does not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk
- Must remain calm in emergency situations