Pomerleau is recognized as one of Eastern Canada’s leaders in the construction industry, in the institutional, commercial, industrial and civil engineering sectors. Clients benefit from our expertise as general contractor, construction manager, project manager and design-builder.
Pomerleau believes in delivering excellence. Every Pomerleau employee upholds this value, leading to the achievement of superior results in every sector where we do business. Pomerleau: proud individuals who share a vision and are passionate about what they do.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN A WEEK? :
Under the supervision of the head estimator, the senior estimator for building projects’ main role is to analyze construction costs and prepare bids in order to obtain the contract allowing Pomerleau to build the project.
• Perform a quantitative evaluation of materials and manpower required for the work deemed decisive and verify the quantities given by the estimators;
• Prepare the summary of quantities according to the plans and specs and by sorting them according to the standardized sections and functions of involved trades.
• Attend construction site visits and assess the difficulty of the project to estimate (both hard bids and design builds);
• Supervise the junior estimator upon his producing the bill of materials for the quantities deemed decisive in regard to the difficulty of the project to estimate;
• Search for project-specific prices—materials, subcontractors—following the analysis of bid documents;
• Invite subcontractors and, when required, send them documents pertaining to the work involved as well as grant them access to the virtual plan room;
• Verify content of all amounts received from suppliers and subcontractors as well as their compliance with bid documents upon compilation and bid closings;
• Establish a preliminary work schedule;
• Take part in bid closings;
• Take part in and/or coordinate the various parties involved in the estimation of a design-build project;
• Keep in touch with the subcontractors and suppliers in the corporate database on a regular basis and keep the latter up to date;
• Assist the head estimator in searching for new contacts—subcontractors, suppliers, and work providers;
• Suggest and quantify alternatives to bid documents for the purpose of reducing construction costs of bid projects;
• Train new estimators.
DO YOU HAVE THESE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS? :
• OSSD + diploma of college studies in civil engineering technology or architecture or equivalent experience;
• 5 to 8 years’ relevant experience in estimating commercial and institutional projects for a general contractor in construction, of which a minimum of 3-5 years should be in design builds;
• Good knowledge in excavation and formwork;
• Knowledge of Bid2Win, Cost-X and AutoCAD software considered an asset;
• High-level skills in plan and specs reading;
• Flexibility and an excellent analytical mind;
• The will to be involved with an estimation team for the long term and to focus on taking result-driven actions;
• Good knowledge of the market in Toronto and Eastern Canada is required.
WHY JOIN POMERLEAU`S TEAM? :
• Competitive salary• 4 weeks’ vacation• Group insurance (health spending account)• Group RRSP• Monthly public transit pass paid by employer • Fitness center membership: 50% reimbursed by employer• Employee assistance program• Ongoing training offered throughout the year• Young, dynamic environment• Excellent career opportunities
At Pomerleau, we focus on results-oriented, passionate and rigorous people who participate in ambitious and complex projects. You have the profile we are looking for? Apply now to be part of our team.
Only retained candidates will be contacted. We may consider your CV for other positions.
Pomerleau is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive working environment where all employees are treated fairly.