SUMMARY OF POSITION: To provide speech-language pathology services in accordance with EHSI/PSRS policies and procedures and in compliance with state and federal regulations. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff. Essential Functions Provide evaluation and treatment of cognitive, communication and swallowing disorders in accordance with physician orders. Compliance with federal and state regulations, professional guidelines and code of ethics for the profession of speech language pathology and provision of speech language pathology services. Compliance with EHSI and PSRS policies and procedures. Attend meeting and in-services as needed as directed by FRC. 5. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and act in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program. *Attends and participates in inservice training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy. 8. *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled. 9. *Assists in orientation and training of employees as directed. 10. *Performs physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. 11. Follows facility dress and hygiene policies. 12. Safety
• Knows and follows facility rules.
• *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
• Follows facility smoking policies.
• Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
• *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
• *Uses required protective equipment.
• Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
• Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor. 13. Resident Rights
• Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents exercise and/or protect their rights.
• Reports resident complaints to management.
• Maintains confidentiality of resident information. 14. HIPAA
• Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
• Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks. (Applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid.)
• Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee. Other Duties
• *Performs other duties as assigned and consistent with the level of preparation and experience. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES 1. Graduate of an accredited master’s level speech-language pathology program. 2. Certificate of Clinical Competence or completing post-graduate clinical experience (clinical fellowship year) is required. 3. State credentialing/licensure as required. 4. Experience in long term care and membership in professional organization is preferred. 5. Synthesis of knowledge related to anatomy, physiology, and pathology for effective evaluation and treatment of swallowing, communication and cognitive disorders. 6. Sound clinical judgment relating to the provision of speech language pathology services. 7. Collaboration with members of the interdisciplinary team in delivery of patient care to maximize functional outcomes. 8. Knowledge of federal and state regulations and professional guidelines as relates to delivery of speech-language pathology services. 9. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English. 10. Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents and the elderly. 11. Meets all health requirements, as required by law. Keywords: geriatric, healthcare, orthopedic, acute care, rehab, rehabilitation, home health, SNF, LTC, ALF, hospital, clinic, neuro, neurological, sub acute, post acute, out patient, Skilled Nursing, modalities, ADL, activities of daily living, PT, DPT, PTA, Physical therapy, Physical therapist, Physical Therapy Assistant