Direct Support Staff (Residential)
- This position provides support and training, including but not limited to, emotional support, physical support and monitoring, and development of life skills through training programs, all leading to increased independence and participation in community life for persons with developmental disabilities and/or other related disorders.
Home-like and office settings with varying degrees of background noise.
- Experience in providing services and supports to individuals with mental developmental disabilities or related disorders preferred.
- Minimum age requirement is 18 to 21 years of age depending on local and state regulations.
- Ability to communicate (verbally and written) with all levels of personnel, internal and external to the company.
- Capable of working responsibly with highly confidential information.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must meet all agency requirements for pre- employment as required by ResCare and/or State regulations.
- High school diploma or GED. Exceptions to educational requirements must comply with state law and regulations.
- Valid driver’s license from state of residence with a satisfactory driving record as defined by ResCare’s vehicle policy and/or liability insurance carrier (as applicable pr program requirements).
- Must be able to bend, stoop, push, pull reach, sit, and walk for periods of time.
- Must be able to utilize proper body mechanics while lifting up to 75 pounds.
- Must have excellent communication and writing skills.
- Must be able to give and receive verbal and written instructions.
- Must have fine vision, sustained vision, and peripheral vision.
- Must possess sufficient eye/hand coordination to operate office, adaptive, and household equipment.
- Light and ventilation as found in typical home or office setting.
- Smoking areas are designated at work locations.
- Hazards may exist if the employee fails to use proper body mechanics when lifting or transporting an individual or item, if vehicles are not operated safely, or if proper techniques are not used when intervening with individuals.
- The possibility of bloodborne pathogens exists if universal precautions are not followed.