POSITION: Directorof Social Services
LOCATION: SouthWeymouth, MA
FLSA STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Located in a brand new state-of-the-art senior living community, Fairing Wayoffers an exceptional environment for South Shore adults aged 55 and plus.
TheDirector of Social Services will assist families in assessing for neededsupport services, act as care coordinator for all residents and serve inmeeting the psychosocial needs of residents and caregivers.
• Licensed in social work, preferably atthe master’s level.
• At least 3-4 years’ experience in thefield of gerontology and with memory loss and related illnesses.
• Ability to make complex assessments ofcare needs and communicate these needs/recommendations to other disciplines,families and residents.
• One year or more of experiencesupervising staff and students or serving in a managerial capacity.
• Serve as a member of the admissionsteam to assist in assessment of potential residents and determination ofappropriateness of admission, facilitate admission, and process by accessingall necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
• Meet with residents and caregivers forthe purposes of obtaining any relevant social-emotional information and assist ineasing the transition to community living.
• Provide on-going liaison, support,education and problem solving assistance to family caregivers as needed.
• Assist staff and family in identifyingany need for community resources, additional services and make referrals asneeded.
• Refer family members to outsideresources such as support groups and counseling services as appropriate.
• Contribute to staff education todevelop interventions to reduce social/emotional stressors impacting residentsthrough behavioral consultation.
• Meet individually with resident’scaregivers who can benefit from counseling support.
• Assist nursing staff in assessing needfor psychiatric interventions, make referrals, and follow-up with staff,behavioral team.
• Participate in behavioral meetingswith interdisciplinary team.
• Participate and assist in facilitationof interdisciplinary care planning meetings and encourage family attendance.
• Document psychosocial needs of theresidents and caregivers and the suggested interventions or goals.
• Assist residents, caregivers and staffin decision making about the potential need for discharge and transfer to otherprograms more suited to residents’ needs.
• Document discharge notes in residentchart.
• Serve as Care Coordinator to residentsoverseeing care plan, communication with families and supportive care needs.
• Act as respite coordinator for allrespite admissions coordinating admission process, screening, admissionpaperwork, move-in and discharge. Support caregiver and respite resident during short term stay.
• Facilitate relocation of residents byassisting caregivers to locate appropriate facilities, make referrals, andensure that transfer information is complete.
• Maintain some contact with caregiverand community immediately after discharge to ensure an optimal transition andoffer support.
• Provide short-term bereavement supportas needed for families/caregivers and staff upon the death of a resident.
• Assist facilitating support/educationgroups.
• Create and maintain resource materialsfor staff, residents and their caregivers.
• Oversee smooth operation of resourcesincluding support and education of staff, ongoing evaluation of services andquality assessment.
• Assist caregivers in locating specificcare giving materials.
• Assist with organizing regularResident and Family Council meetings.
• Review all resident records forpresence of health care proxy and advanced medical directives and encouragecaregiver follow through in obtaining these documents. Collaborate with nursingstaff and physicians as needed.
• Provide support and in-serviceeducation to other staff and volunteers in meeting the social/emotional needsof residents, understanding the psychiatric symptoms of dementia, understandingthe normal aging process and resident rights.
• Coordinate family meetings with theAdministrator and other staff as appropriate.
• Facilitate small groups to deal withemotional well-being, psychosocial needs of residents/participants, and promotediscussion.
• Perform other duties as assigned orrequested from time to time by supervisor or other managers.
• Check house staffing upon arrival,making adjustments as needed to ensure adequate coverage on all nursing units.
• Take calls from staff who are ill orotherwise unable to report for work, documenting the time of the call andreason for absence and coordinate coverage as needed.
• Provide and prepare feedback forperformance reviews for Resident Care Partners assigned to unit.
• Develop work assignments and/or assistin completing and performing such assignments.
• Provide leadership to nursingpersonnel assigned to your unit/shift.
• Report problem areas to the ClinicalServices Director/Clinical Supervisor and work on plans for qualityimprovement.
• Ensure that established departmentalpolicies and procedures, including dress codes, are followed by your assignednursing personnel.
• Oversee timely editing of physicianorders, treatment and flow sheets.
• Reinforce timely completion of nursingsummaries.
• Knowledge of issues of aging and theneeds of residents and caregivers
• Experience working with issues ofgrief, loss and guilt family members may experience when placing a loved one inour community
• Ability to follow written and spokenEnglish
• Ability to be flexible with workassignments, other departments and schedule changes
• Ability to work as a team player,promoting good relations with other departments, staff, residents, and families
• Ability to work well with otherprofessional disciplines both in and out of the community
• Experience in the provision ofindividual group and family counseling and case management
• Supports theresident-centered philosophy of Fairing Way and Dwyer Home
Interested applicants can send resume, coverletter and salary requirements by one of the following options:
Rogerson Communities & Fairing Way provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to allemployees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color,religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Rogerson Communities & Fairing Way offer acomfortable working environment along with competitive benefits includinghealth, dental, vision, retirement, paid time off and other benefits.