Pharmacist -Pharmacy-Per Diem-Varied
Location: Harlingen, TX
Inpatient -Under the supervision of the Director of Pharmacy, coordinates the activities of the pharmacy department to provide the highest quality of pharmaceutical care to all patients served by the hospital, while ensuring patient safety. Outpatient – Under the supervision of the pharmacist in charge of the outpatient pharmacy, coordinates the activities of the pharmacy department to provide the highest quality of pharmaceutical care to all patients served by the hospital or the outpatient pharmacy, while ensuring patient safety. The scope of patient care provided may include: General Medicine/Surgical, Intensive Care Services, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, Emergency Care, Oncology, Peri-operative, Geriatrics and Outpatient Services.
1. MEDICATION PREPARATION AND DISPENSING: Processes physician medication orders. Enters/verifies medication orders into Pharmacy profile, prepares, compounds and dispenses medication for patient use according to Federal and State regulations and hospital policy and procedure. .
2. OVERSIGHT: Oversees and assumes responsibility for all medication-related activities performed by pharmacy technicians and other Pharmacy personnel.
3. MEDICATION DISTRIBUTION: Ensures that medications are available to nursing units or other patient care areas in a timely manner according to policy.
4. CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES: Prepares, dispenses and ensures security of narcotics and all controlled substances according to Federal and State regulations. Maintains all related records as required.
5. MONITORING DRUG THERAPY: Monitors patient’s medication therapy (encompassing neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients) for accuracy and appropriateness. Monitoring can be accomplished by, but is not limited to: reviewing patient medication profile, allergies and sensitivities, diagnosis, medical conditions, dosages, drug/drug, drug/food interactions, and drug/disease interactions, duplicate therapy, contraindications. Accomplishes these functions for all medication orders within all areas of the pharmacy. Notifies prescriber or nurse of potential problems and recommends alternatives.
6. DRUG INFORMATION: Provides medication information to other healthcare professionals as needed. Performs patient medication education as required. Maintains appropriate records.
7. QUALITY IMPROVEMENT: Participates in departmental quality improvement activities. Identifies and reports medication errors. Identifies and reports possible adverse drug reactions. Documents patient-specific recommendations and other clinical interventions.
9. TRAINING: Assists in the training of new personnel.
10. STERILE PRODUCTS: Demonstrates proper aseptic technique in preparation of sterile products. Accurately prepares sterile products. Oversees and assumes responsibility for all sterile products prepared by pharmacy technicians. Complies with Federal regulations, State regulations and hospital policy.
11. INSPECTIONS: Performs and records periodic inspections of assigned units and departments, emergency carts, pharmacy and all areas where medications are stored. Assures proper storage, handling, and labelling requirements of medications according to Federal regulations, State regulations and hospital policy. Ensures medications are in date.
12. INVENTORY: Maintains appropriate working inventory of medications and supplies.
13. MEDICATIONS DISPENSED AFTER PHARMACY HOURS (applies to pharmacy sites without 24 hour pharmacist oversight): Performs checks on night medications dispensed after pharmacy hours and restocks night medication cabinet as required.
14. EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS: Maintains a state of readiness for all disaster situations as directed. Maintains competence of computer downtime procedures.
15. Detects and reports improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials, and unusual conditions to supervisor. Maintains work area and equipment as required.
16. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
1.Current state Registered Pharmacist License.
2. Experience in hospital pharmacy operations preferred.
3. B.S. degree in Pharmacy required; Doctor of Pharmacy degree preferred.
4. BLS certification required within 6 months of hire and must be maintained
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf